Eight Skiers Confirmed Dead After Avalanche Near Lake Tahoe, Ninth Still Missing and Presumed Deceased

0
30

Authorities say eight of nine backcountry skiers reported missing after a powerful avalanche near Lake Tahoe have been found dead, and the remaining skier is still unaccounted for but is now presumed deceased.

The avalanche struck Tuesday morning near Castle Peak in Nevada County, just north of Boreal Mountain Ski Resort, as a major winter storm moved through Northern California. Blizzard conditions and heavy snowfall were reported at higher elevations around the time of the slide, which occurred at approximately 11:30 a.m.

According to the Nevada County Sheriff’s Office, 15 backcountry skiers were caught in the avalanche. Six people survived and were rescued from the scene, while nine were initially listed as missing.

Signup for the USA Herald exclusive Newsletter

Search teams resumed efforts Wednesday morning during a brief break in the severe weather. Later that day, officials confirmed that eight of the nine missing skiers had been located deceased. Recovery efforts for the final missing individual remain ongoing, though authorities indicated the person is presumed dead due to the scale and conditions of the avalanche site.

The group had been led into the backcountry by Blackbird Mountain Guides and was returning from a three-day excursion to Frog Lake. The company said the party included four guides and 11 clients.

In a statement, Blackbird founder Zeb Blais described the incident as the most devastating event in the company’s history. He confirmed that three members of the guiding team and six clients lost their lives. The company has suspended field operations through at least February 22 as it supports affected families and staff.

Blackbird stated that all four guides were trained or certified in backcountry skiing, and each held credentials to teach avalanche safety through the American Institute for Avalanche Research and Education.

Of the six survivors, authorities said two were transported to hospitals for treatment. The survivors include one man and five women ranging in age from 30 to 55. One of the rescued individuals was a guide with Blackbird. Officials said one injured skier has been stabilized, while another remains under medical care.

Due to ongoing avalanche danger and unstable snowpack conditions, officials have not yet removed the bodies from the mountainside. Search teams marked the locations with avalanche poles to allow for safe recovery when weather and terrain conditions improve.

The Sugar Bowl Academy, a private school and U.S. Ski and Snowboard-affiliated program, announced that several members of its community were among those who died in the avalanche.

At the time of the incident, the Sierra Avalanche Center had issued a “high” danger avalanche warning for the region. Even as recovery operations continued Wednesday, crews faced hazardous terrain and elevated slide risks.

Officials emphasized the inherent dangers of backcountry travel, particularly during periods of intense snowfall. The Castle Peak area has seen previous deadly avalanches, including a fatal snowmobile accident earlier this year.

The tragedy marks one of the most severe avalanche incidents in California in recent memory and has sent shockwaves through the Lake Tahoe skiing community.