Bayer $7.25 Billion Settlement Aims to End Roundup Cancer Litigation

0
18

Who Qualifies

Under the proposal, individuals who were exposed to Roundup before Feb. 17 of this year and were diagnosed with non-Hodgkin lymphoma within 16 years of exposure would be eligible for compensation.

Unlike a 2020 settlement, which addressed then-existing claims, this agreement would also encompass future cases arising from the same illness — an acknowledgment of the disease’s long latency period.

Bayer said payments would be distributed over 21 years, with the majority of funds expected to be paid within the first five years.

Signup for the USA Herald exclusive Newsletter

The Science and the Dispute

Roundup was developed in the 1970s, with glyphosate as its active ingredient. In 2015, the International Agency for Research on Cancer, part of the World Health Organization, classified glyphosate as a probable human carcinogen.

Bayer, along with regulators including the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, has challenged that assessment and maintains that Roundup is safe when used as directed.

Yet juries in multiple states have sided with plaintiffs, awarding billions in damages. Bayer said it has resolved more than 130,000 claims so far but still faces approximately 65,000 pending cases, with the possibility of additional filings in the years ahead.