Harbour Energy To Buy Asset Portfolio For $11.2B

141
SHARE
Harbour Energy To Buy Asset Portfolio For $11.2B

Harbour Energy PLC, based in Edinburgh, Scotland, has set the stage for a blockbuster move by announcing its intention to acquire a diverse portfolio of upstream assets valued at a staggering $11.2 billion. The high-stakes deal involves assets currently held by German chemical powerhouse BASF SE and Luxembourg’s investment titan, LetterOne Holdings SA.

Enter Email to View Articles

Loading...

Harbour Energy To Buy Asset Portfolio For $11.2B : A Symphony of Partnerships Unveiled

In a strategic coup, Harbour Energy secured an agreement to acquire the entire upstream asset portfolio of Wintershall Dea AG, a major German player in the oil and gas industry. This German enterprise is jointly owned by BASF, commanding a significant 72.7% stake, and LetterOne, holding the remaining 27.3%. The intricacies of the deal, including counsel information for the involved parties, were not immediately disclosed.

Unveiling the Global Tapestry

The sprawling upstream assets encompass territories in Norway, Germany, Denmark, Argentina, Mexico, Egypt, Libya, and Algeria. These assets, critical for oil and gas exploration and production, mark Harbour Energy’s bold leap into a geographically diverse landscape. Notably, the deal also encompasses Wintershall Dea’s coveted carbon dioxide capture and storage licenses in Europe.

Harbour Energy To Buy Asset Portfolio For $11.2B : Exclusion of Russian Roulette

However, the Russian assets of Wintershall Dea are notably excluded from this seismic transaction.

Financial Juggernaut and Market Surge

Harbour Energy’s visionary move aims to catapult it into the league of the world’s largest and most geographically diverse independent oil and gas companies. Riding on this wave, the company anticipates a significant reduction in operating costs. The financial markets have responded with a burst of enthusiasm, evident in Harbour Energy’s stock surge of 23.32%, closing at 300.9 pence on Thursday, up from 244 pence at the previous day’s close.

Financial Alchemy and Structural Overhaul

The financial intricacies of the deal involve Harbour undertaking $4.9 billion of Wintershall Dea’s bonds, issuing $4.15 billion in new shares to BASF and LetterOne, and a cash payment of $2.15 billion. Upon completion, BASF will wield a 46.5% stake in Harbour, with the power to nominate two non-executive directors to the British company’s board.

The Intriguing Game of Corporate Chess

This strategic maneuver constitutes a reverse takeover under the U.K.’s Listing Rules, marking Harbour Energy’s acquisition of a larger business. The deal is set to undergo scrutiny at a general meeting in the first half of 2024, where shareholders will determine its fate.

Director’s Vision and Shareholder Commitment

Directors express confidence in the acquisition, asserting that it serves the best interests of the company. CEO Linda Cook emphasizes the potential for increased production, extended reserves life, and improved margins, all while aligning with energy transition goals by shifting the portfolio towards natural gas. Crucially, shareholders representing 16.8% of Harbour Energy have irrevocably committed to voting in favor of the deal.

Harbour Energy To Buy Asset Portfolio For $11.2B : Countdown to Regulatory Approval

However, the climax awaits regulatory, antitrust, and foreign direct investment approvals. Harbour Energy anticipates the finalization of the acquisition by December 2024.