Most Americans Agree Cancel Culture Doesn’t Mesh with Freedom

21
SHARE

The roads of cancel culture and politics continue to intersect with one another. Across the nation, cancel culture is rearing its ugly head and furthermore having adverse impacts.

For example, Hollywood star Gina Carano, became a casualty of cancel culture for being openly conservative or even expressing viewpoints that run contrary to left-wing dogma. Furthermore, conservative college students feel out of place in universities and Republicans are at risk of lose their social media accounts for challenging one status quo or the other.

At this point, conservatives are some of the most outspoken voices regarding the dangers of cancel culture. With that being said, a fresh poll from Harvard CAPS-Harris shows that the majority of people in the United States view cancel culture as problematic.

Signup for the USA Herald exclusive Newsletter

Where most Americans stand on cancel culture in society

It’s no secret that most conservatives are against cancel culture. Per the Harvard CPAS-Harris survey, 80% of respondents stated that cancel culture is threatening to freedom; only 20% claimed the opposite.

Conversely, 48% of Democrat respondents believe personal freedom is threatened by cancel culture, while the remaining 52% disagree. All in all, 64% of Americans view cancel culture as not in keeping with personal freedom; only 39% said otherwise.

Mark Penn, the director of the Harvard CAPS-Harris Poll survey, also had some interesting commentary on this matter. According to Penn, Americans are collectively becoming wearier about the rise of cancel culture in society.

Penn furthermore warned that tech companies should be aware that many people view them as perpetrators of cancel culture; likewise, Amazon is also walking a very fine line, what with their pattern of prohibiting certain books on their site.

The unspoken truth about cancel culture

The rise of cancel culture in society directly correlates with the growing criticism against it. This, in and of itself, reveals some truths about cancel culture; it shows that cancel culture is not sustainable, especially in the long-term future.

As cancel culture-related concerns grow, some Republican leaders are looking to take congressional action against it. Congressman Jim Jordan (R-OH) is urging the House Judiciary to hold a formal hearing on cancel culture; other Republicans and conservative voters are also backing this call.