New York AG James says Trump’s new public charge rule violates U.S. laws and values

243
SHARE

The Trump administration is facing another lawsuit challenging its new public charge rule, which aims to deny green cards and visas to immigrants that may have used or likely use government assistance programs.

On Tuesday, the states of New York, Vermont and Connecticut sued the Trump Administration alleging that the public charge rule “disregards clear congressional intent and a century’s worth of case law.”

Public charge rule allegedly based on racial bias

In a lawsuit, the states argued that Trump’s public charge rule is based on racial bias. It is unfairly targeting immigrants from Africa and Central America, which the President described as “shithole countries.”

Additionally, the states claimed that the federal government “weaponizes the public charge inquiry to specifically target immigrants of color, immigrants with disabilities, and low-income immigrants.”

Furthermore, the states claimed that the public charge rule “fundamentally misunderstands that these non-cash programs are designed to help immigrants who arrive in this country with limited means move out of poverty and achieve upward mobility.”

In a statement, AG James said the federal government’s new immigration policy clearly violates the law and values of the United States.

According to her, “Generations of citizens landed on the welcoming shores of Ellis Island with nothing more than a dream in their pockets. The Trump Administration’s thinly veiled efforts to only allow those who meet their narrow ethnic, racial and economic criteria to gain a path to citizenship is a clear violation of our laws and our values.”

“Quite simply, under this rule, more children will go hungry, more families will go without medical care and more people will be living in the shadows and on the streets. We cannot and we will not let that happen,” she added.

Meanwhile, New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio commented, “The ultimate city of immigrants will never stop fighting President Trump’s xenophobic policies.” The city joined the lawsuit.

Last week, California led a multi-state coalition that sued the Trump administration over the same issue. The Santa Clara and San Francisco counties also filed a similar lawsuit.