Amazon broke some of its own records this holiday season. In a press release, the online retail giant said more was bought from Amazon.com, world wide, than ever before.
“This season was our best yet, and we look forward to continuing to bring our customers what they want, in ways most convenient for them in 2019. We are thrilled that in the U.S. alone, more than one billion items shipped for free this holiday with Prime,” said Jeff Wilke, CEO Worldwide Consumer. “Thank you to our employees all around the world who are committed to bringing our customers the widest selection of products with low prices and fast and free delivery options throughout the holidays and all year long.”
Electronics were the most popular item purchased via Amazon this. The top electronics sold are the Echo Dot, Fire TV Stick 4K with all-new Alexa Voice Remote, and Echo.
As smart homes become more mainstream, smart home devices were on the top of many people’s Amazon wish lists as well. Amazon reports more people than ever before bought smart home capable devices like the Amazon Smart Plug, Ring Video Doorbell 2, TP-Link Kasa Smart Plug Mini Outlet, and the iRobot Roomba 690.
Alexa is in millions of homes world wide. Amazon keeps track of what Alexa is asked to do, and here are the most common tasks Alexa completed this holiday season:
- Customers used Alexa to listen to hundreds of millions more hours of music this holiday season compared to last holiday season, and on even more services – including Amazon Music, Spotify, Tidal, and Apple Music, among others.
- Customers asked Alexa to turn on their holiday lights tens of millions of times this holiday season
- The number one request being “Alexa, turn on the Christmas tree.”
- Alexa delivered 8x as many reminders this holiday season compared to last.
- Alexa set more than one hundred million timers this holiday season.