A high-stakes courtroom drama paused unexpectedly Tuesday when the social media addiction trial delayed proceedings after a juror was hospitalized with an illness — just one day before Mark Zuckerberg is scheduled to take the stand.
Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Carolyn B. Kuhl informed attorneys that one of the jurors had been admitted to the hospital but had not asked to be excused from service. After brief arguments, lawyers for the plaintiff, Meta Platforms and Google LLC agreed to grant the juror a day to recover.
“We will absolutely go forward tomorrow,” Judge Kuhl told the seated jurors after apologizing for the interruption.
A Trial Already Tested by Setbacks
The delay marks another disruption in what has become a closely watched bellwether trial — the first of at least nine planned from thousands of consolidated claims alleging social media companies harmed young users’ mental health.
Earlier this month, jury selection stalled for several days when Meta attorney Paul W. Schmidt of Covington & Burling LLP suffered a head injury. Schmidt later returned to court sporting a visible bump and black eye, joking to jurors that he had simply grown dizzy getting out of bed and struck his head.
Even logistics have intervened. Jury selection had to be relocated from the Spring Street Courthouse to another building blocks away after a water leak forced a temporary move.
The latest pause comes as the plaintiff’s team, led by W. Mark Lanier of The Lanier Law Firm, said their case is moving on schedule — possibly even ahead of it. Lanier told the court the hospitalized juror had been “taking extensive notes” and appeared deeply engaged.
“He did not ask to be excused,” Lanier said, adding that he worries jurors might drop off after Zuckerberg’s appearance, quipping that some could think, “We got to see the show, now we can go home and write a book.”
The court has seated 12 jurors and six alternates. If the ill juror cannot return Wednesday, an alternate will step in.

