Gov. Wolf and Pennsylvania Auditor General DePasquale will serve as co-chairman of the task force.
According to DePasquale, they will combine their experience and expertise with the knowledge of other members of the task force. They will raise the standards for school safety in Pennsylvania.
Pennsylvania School Safety Task Force priorities
According to Gov. Wolf his priorities for the School Safety Task Force in Pennsylvania include the following:
- Hearing concerns about safety and potential policy changes from school officials, teachers, parents, students, law enforcement, etc.
- Determining additional funding needs for the Office for Safe Schools, security and safety personnel, school counselors and nurses, and additional or upgraded security equipment;
- Examining effectiveness of student support, physical and mental health programs as well as information sharing.
- Evaluating stronger state requirements for active shooter trainings and other security protocols. The evaluation includes current programs offered by the Pennsylvania State Police and other state agencies.
- Strengthening information sharing among local schools, law enforcement, health care providers, and human services programs.
- Examining new or existing tools to ensure easy and effective anonymous reporting of suspicious activity to law enforcement.
Governors and lawmakers in other states are also taking action to keep their schools safe from gun violence.